knit worth

another knitting blog. Go figure....

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

zipper insertion

Geeksbewithyou has asked me “how did the zipper go?”

Well, it wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be, and I feel reasonably comfortable with doing it again one day. First, I measured the sweater about eleventy-billion times, and decided I needed a 22-inch zipper. As it happens, I probably really needed a 21 3/4“ zipper, but it is what it is and I can deal with this. I just think it would have been better not reaching EXACTLY to the edges the way it is.

Then, I chose a zipper from and ordered it and waited for it to get here. It was VERY hard for me to choose a color, but I realized that a color card costs as much as two or three zippers, so I figured pick a zipper and if it’s wrong, pick another zipper! I chose a dark green separating zipper and it arrived pretty quickly really and I decided it would be fine.

So, then I read some tutorials on zippers. I read Grumperina’s, and Claudia’s, and Bonne Marie’s! I actually printed out Claudia’s, but I never even took it off the printer, ha ha ha.

So then I took the sweater and my supplies (supplies: the zipper, a small pair of scissors, the matching thread I’d bought at Joann’s, some cream-colored thread for basting, some bright yellow yarn, a tapestry needle, a tape measure, and a xanax) and sat down in front of the television. I turned on ”Friends with Money“ (thank you On Demand but I still hate Comcast with a passion that is unwavering and true) and laid the sweater out on the floor. I laid the zipper on the sweater - right side of zipper facing wrong side of sweater - and then I started pinning it on there. Basically I just pinned using straight pins (quilting pins with little yellow daisy tops) placed parallel to the zipper itself. Then I tried it on with the pins in place and thought it looked pretty good. Then I basted it in place with the cream colored thread and tried it on again. I realized that the basting stitches were a little too far away from the zipper itself, because i was getting some unsightly gapping. So I went ahead and sewed the sucker in using smaller stitches, closer to the zipper. Amazingly, it worked. I just had to fold the backing tape weirdly at the top, but it’s fine. I don’t know what I was so terribly afraid of. I could always rip it off and do it again. But I might have to kill someone first.


Post a Comment

<< Home