knit worth

another knitting blog. Go figure....

Friday, October 27, 2006

Suzy's birthday bag

My husband’s grandma is turning mumblesomething, and I decided she’d like a homemade gift for a change. I mean, she HAS everything and certainly doesn’t NEED anything I can buy, and I can’t afford the things she REALLY enjoys that are buyable, so, without further ado....I bring you Suzy’s bag:

I do not understand why, when all the photos are taken with the same camera settings, and exported with the same size settings, some turn out bigger than others. I really do not. But whatever.

IMG_4637.jpg

I used brown worsted weight wool and the variegated blue/purple/cranberry wool on I THINK 6.5 mm US 10 1/2 needles, and ran it through the wash twice to felt it.
The following photo nicely shows off the custom label sewn in with cranberry thread, and the six feet of i-cord for handles. I did a foot of brown, a foot of variegated, two feet of brown, a foot of variegated, a foot of brown, and cut in the middle

IMG_4640.jpg

This is my first time lining a bag. Also my first time using grommets. I hand-stitched (obviously) a cranberry cloth lining.

IMG_4639.jpg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool!

How hard was lining it? I just felted a bag yesterday, for my stepmom, and I'd like to line it, but not if it's just gonna frustrate me. :-)

9:52 AM  
Blogger webhill said...

Well, to make the lining, I used that iron-on hemming tape instead of sewing a lining together. That was hard to shape, but easy to iron :). Then actually sewing it in was pretty easy too.

I've seen bags where someone has just felted the purse, and then used a cheapo satin or other fabric purse as the lining of the felted bag. That is what I had wanted to do but couldn't find one the right size.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Knitting with a Purpose said...

I love it, it's really pretty!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home