knit worth

another knitting blog. Go figure....

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

help. need help.


I am knitting a sweater as some of you know. I am having a problem with the pattern.

The problem section:

NEXT ROW: bind off 10 sts, then finish working sts as they appear; 40 sts remain.
NEXT RS ROW - DEC ROW: K2, SSK, work sts as they appear to end of row. Follow decrease instructions as for Back and when  20 decreases have been made, proceed to NECK SHAPING SECTION.
NECK SHAPING: while continuing to work armhole shaping decreases until total # of DECs = total number of BACK DECs, start neck shaping by binding off 6 sts at neck edge. Then DEC 1 st at neck edge every RS row 6 more times. Break yarn and pull through final stitch.

SO, ok. The back shaping instructions had me do one RS DEC row, then DEC every RS row 24 times, then every other RS row 2 times. That gives me a total of 27  decreases that I need to do for the armhole of the left front as well, right? So I do 20 of them, and then on the next row I BO 6 sts at the neck edge. Am I correct in assuming that I do the 20 DEC RS rows and then on the next row (WS) I BO 6 at the neck edge and then I do a regular RS DEC on the next row and also DEC 1 st at the neck edge on that same row??  Because when I write it all out... it seems to me that if I do:

decrease as per back instructions until 20 decreases have been made
proceed to neck shaping
follow instructions as written until DEC 1 at neck edge has been done 6 times

I still have done only 26 decreases, and the back instructions called for 27. So, am I supposed to do another decrease row?

The other confusing thing is that the back instructions say to do 25 decrease rows and then go to  every other RS row for 2 more decrease rows. I'm not sure how that plays into the instructions for the left front.

When I wrote the above message to the pattern author, she replied:

Start with 50 sts for size 38/39

50 - 10 sts = 40 sts after underarm BO

40 - 1 = 39 sts after initial DEC

39 - 19 = 20 sts left after initial 20 DEC worked

20 - 6 = 14 sts after initial Neck BO

14 - 6 = 8 sts after all Neck DEC worked

8 - 5 = 3 sts after all RS row DEC worked

3 - 2 = 1 sts remains after the last 2 DEC worked

You should end up with one stitch.

There are 27 total DEC.

-- to which I say a resounding “huh?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home