knit worth

another knitting blog. Go figure....

Friday, June 08, 2007

sweater math


This does not make sense.
I’m using a Cabin Fever sweater pattern (#610, but I’m not striping it, ooooh, living dangerously here...)
So you cast on and start knitting at the top of the neck, you knit until the collar measures 2 1/2“ from the cast on edge, then you start raglan increases, and you “continue...until the yoke measures 7” from the bottom of the neckband.“ So, that’s 9.5 inches so far, right? OK. You divide for sleeves, yada yada.... knit until the sweater measures 15” from the bottom of the rolled collar, then you do a decrease round and knit six rounds and then cast off. OK. But, the sweater’s final dimension for the size I am doing is supposed to be 22 inches. Six rounds is about an inch and a half - let’s call it two including the decrease round and binding off. so, 15 inches from bottom of collar plus 2 inches is 17 inches. Even if I add back in the 2.5 inches of collar, that’s 19.5, not 22 inches. WTF? Am I insane?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I wish I could help! It funny how I can knit these things, but ask me to picture it in my head based on words and my brain grinds to a halt. As a rule, I've loved all the Cabin Fever patterns I've knit, so I'd be inclined to trust the pattern. Any chance they consider the bottom of the neckband to be the bottom of the button area?

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home